- Best Knife for Women’s Self-Defense: Know the Types
- Folding Knives
- Fixed Blades
- Best Knife for Women’s Self Defense: Things to know
- BUYING GUIDE:
- Best Knife for Women’s Self-Defense: Ideas & Tips
- Best Knife for Women’s Self-Defense: Things to avoid
- And Our Best Knife for Women’s Self-Defense
- FREQUENT ASKED QUESTIONS:
- FINAL THOUGHTS
The best knife for woman’s self-defense could help them save their lives. Also, carrying a knife has a psychological impact on the owner. It helps them boost their confidence and security that where ever they go, they don’t have to worry about their safety. They have the tools; therefore, all they need is the skill to yield it, which somewhat easy to achieve.
As you scroll down, you will read more about the best knife for women’s self-defense. You will see many tips on using it, the type of knife, characteristics of best protection blade, and many more. So in the meantime, let us present our best knives for self-defense that is highly recommended for women.
|PRODUC IMAGE||PRODUCT NAME||EXPERT RATING||GET IT ON AMAZON|
|SPYDERCO MATRIARCH 2|
|Fox 599 G10|
|Zero Tolerance 0562CF Hinderer Slicer Folding Knife|
|SPYDERCO Para Military 2|
|Ka Bar BK2FDE BK2|
Best Knife for Women’s Self-Defense: Know the Types
Knives are one of the ideal self-defense tools that women can bring around. If you live in a state that forbids firearms or can’t obtain them, rather than the hassle of processing permits on carrying a gun, knives are the best alternative for self-defense.
Most of the time, women were victims of some crimes because it seemed vulnerable compared to men. There are two things that women can do to stop being a victim: either run or fight. In cases that you find a way out of a crime, then that’s the better way to handle it. The number one goal anyway is to make yourself safe and prevent a head-on battle.
However, in unfortunate times that women must defend themselves, there is no other choice but to yield your weapon against your attacker. But before women do this, she must carry the right knife for them and be skilled. These combinations could give them a high success rate to defend themselves.
There are types of knives available in the market. The two standard blades are fixed-blade knives and folding knives. To give you more information and understanding of these two types of knives, continue reading and decides which type to purchase.
It is the type of knife that most comfortable to carry and conceal. Most of the women choose folding knives because of their advantage size and quick deployment. They can place it on their pouch, pocket, or attach it to their belts.
In choosing folding knives, it’s opening mechanism must consider. To know more about it, read below, and understand how they usually work.
- The flipper. This opening mechanism of the knife has a stud on the spine. Using your index finger, you can push the stud to deploy the blade.
- The thumbhole. This type of knife has a specific safety device on the face of the blade. Using your thumb, you can assist the edge open or close.
- The thumb stud. This knife can be open by pushing the stud on its blade using your thumb.
- The out-the-front. This opening mechanism of the knife slides out of the front by using the stud in the sheath.
- The wave. This knife has a hook on the spine, and if you pull it from your pocket, the lock will catch the lip and opens the blade.
A fixed blade knife is also called a sheath knife. This type of knife extends its blade into the handle and cannot fold. Most of the time, it looks more substantial than a folding knife; however, it is not always the case. Women can also use this type of knife as a self-defense tool.
Numerous types of fixed blade knives intend for different purposes. To provide more understanding in choosing a self-defense knife for women, considering these types may also help them decide.
- The Bowie knife is a type of fixed knife that boasts a long, sing-edges blade. They are longer than the common of fixed blade knives. Its cutting ability and power are pretty impressive. The blade length of the bowie knife usually ranges from 6 inches to 24 inches.
- The survival knife is a type of knife used for emergency or survival situation. Mostly, adventurers, military, or police officers use this. Also, this tool has a wide usage to its owner. It can use to cut wood, skinning, carving, and more.
- The combat knife is a type of fixed blade knife that is single-bladed and sharp-pointed. This knife is made explicitly for a close combat situation and mostly issued to military officers. Aside from using it for close-range battle, they also use it to clean, chop, and pry.
- The throwing knife is a double-edged blade that has a very sharp tip. For a self-defense situation, you can throw this knife at the attacker to distracts him. When that happens, you can give another shot or choose to escape.
- The diver’s knife is an essential scuba gear that can save lives. It is also a fixed blade made up of various materials such as steel, ceramic, or titanium. Divers use this to protect themselves from underwater predators.
Best Knife for Women’s Self Defense: Things to know
If you have a particular knife in your mind after reading the types of knives, here’s what you need to know next before buying and carrying a self-defense weapon. Besides, having a knife for self-defense comes with responsibility. As an owner, you are obliged to know these things. Awareness is always the key to prevent yourself from trouble.
Know the Laws
The primary thing you should do is to know your state’s law about carrying a knife. Generally, it is an offense to have a sharp or bladed weapon in public places; however, a folding knife is an exemption as long as its blade measures 3 inches or less.
Some states have specific laws on carrying a concealed knife. Some compulsory license and some are not. Whatever rules your state has, you have to abide by to avoid yourself in trouble.
In carrying a knife, you must know the possibilities that lead to when you face an unfortunate situation that requires you to yield it. Be prepared for the consequences that might happen.
The perfect time to use a knife
As mentioned earlier, knives are weapons; therefore, the perfect time to use them is when you believe that it is only the last resort to save your life and loved ones from great danger or death. Also, do not forget the goal of owning a knife as self-defense. It is used to defend you and not to kill people.
Best Knife for Women’s Self-Defense: Ideas & Tips
Now that you know about the types of knives, limitations, and restrictions, it’s time to gain ideas and tips on choosing the best tool. When it comes to picking the best knife for women’s self-defense, there are several things to consider.
Best Knife for Women’s Self-Defense: Blade type
As mentioned before, 3 inches and less are the ideal lengths of a knife because it is easy to conceal and handy. It won’t make you overexert on attacking or defending. Another thing to consider in choosing the best knife for women’s self-defense is its design. The standard methods are drop point, clip point, tanto, and sheepsfoot. Here is the list for further explanations.
- Drop point – typical blade design that has an arched spine that curves down from the handle. It is perfect to handle various tasks such as carving, skinning, and making long cuts.
- Tanto – this blade has an angular edge inspired by the shape of samurai swords. The blade is single or could be double-edged, measuring 15 to 30 centimeters.
- Sheepsfoot – This blade is perfect for slicing. It has a straight edge and a backside that bends down that reduces the chances of accidentally being pierced or cut.
- Clip point – it is one of the standard knife blades that are perfect for stabbing. Thanks to is front section that’s seemed clipped off. This tip could give a flawless detail slicing.
Best Knife for Women’s Self-Defense: Blade Edge
The edge is also needed to consider in choosing the best knife for women’s self-defense. It is part of the knife designed for slicing or cutting. It ranges from point to heel. The blade’s edge is also one factor to consider when buying a knife because this part of the knife will save your life. There are two types of the blade edge. You can choose between serrated or straight. Both of them can save lives; however, they differ in advantages and disadvantages.
- Serrated Edge Blade
This tool has a saw-like edge, also known as dentate or saw-toothed, that best work when cutting with a back and forth motion. Again, it can do an excellent job in slicing flexible materials with a downward motion. Unfortunately, cuts made by the serrated blade is not smooth and exact. It is also difficult to sharpen. However, the good news they are affordable and easy to replace.
- Straight Edge Blade
A knife blade that is straight and has a longer cutting edge is called a straight edge. Unlike the serrated blade, it can effortlessly sharpen. Its smooth edge could cut clean. It is perfect for slicing meat and cutting food such as fruits and vegetables.
Material of blade
The blade’s material is also essential in buying the best knife for women’s self-defense. It is the part of the knife that determines the durability and its ability to save you from an unknown attacker. So to avoid buying a tool that could only turn you down in the end, better be knowledgeable about the best material to purchase. Certain types of material can choose in a blade. Here is the list.
- Stainless Steel Blades is the most common blade material in a knife because it is durable and rust-free. Most stainless steel blades are used in the kitchen, diving, and pocket knives.
- Carbon Steel Blades – it is a type of blade that vulnerable to rust because it lacks chromium. However, the carbon steel blade’s durability and sharpness made it a star. It is commonly used in survival, hunting, and pocket knives.
- Titanium Blades – Titanium is a strong material like steel but less dense. It is rust-resistant and popular in diving and pocket knives. Another good thing is it can withstand heat and cold. But the downside is, titanium blades are not easy to sharpen. Also, 100% of titanium blades are expensive.
- Ceramic Blades – it is a type of blade that less common and mostly found in the kitchen. It is non-metallic and utterly resistant to corrosion. Its sharpness could stay for a very long time. Nevertheless, they are brittle and easy to crack if it’s dropped.
Grip and Handle
It is also essential to consider the grip and handle when choosing the best knife for women’s self-defense. It plays a significant role in defending yourself. You cannot merely yield your weapon and not comfortable holding it. The handle is the first thing your grip should be familiar with to use the blade effectively. You can choose either wood, metal, stag, or synthetic.
- Metals are more robust and durable. It is a prevalent choice for a knife’s handle. The two types of metal handle are titanium and stainless steel. Both are resistant to rust and lightweight; however, the ability to tolerate tension is high.
- Synthetic handles are known for their sturdiness and durability. They are often used for heavy-duty survival knives that could endure extreme cold and hot.
- Stag handles are made-up of deer antlers. They are pricey and rare. Nevertheless, the advantages of stag handles are their natural bends and sturdy grip.
It is also vital to consider sheath in buying the best knife for women’s self-defense because it will protect and secure your knife. It is commonly used for fixed blade knives. The material that is perfect for a sheath is nylon or kevlar. The sheath will also serve as the knife’s carrier.
In buying a self-defense knife, you also have to think about the budget. Remember that there is an affordable knife available in the market; however, you also need to consider the quality. The cheapest it is, the more its quality would sacrifice. Keep in mind that price limits the type of knife you can acquire.
Best Knife for Women’s Self-Defense: Things to avoid
There are many designs of knives on the market that are tempting to buy. Even the unfamiliar once could make a soon-to-be-holder confuse. But don’t be a victim of such a pleasing appearance of knives. Here are some of the tips that you should bear in mind to avoid buying a regrettable weapon.
- Narrow tang. Tang is the part of the knife that extends until the handle. It is okay to buy an extended tang; however, avoid buying the narrow one if you use it for self-defense. This type of tang is vulnerable, and in the worst case, it could break while you are trying to defend yourself.
- Huge knives are a big NO too. For the apparent reason, it isn’t concealable.
- As I have said, the handle is crucial. It’s like you are buying shoes that don’t fit you. Hollow handled knives are also not advisable because most of them could easily break.
And Our Best Knife for Women’s Self-Defense
OUR #1 CHOICE
Product Name: Spyderco Matriarch 2
Product Description: Here comes our number one! Spyderco Matriarch 2 expresses power and elegance. It seemed frightening, deadly, and a total package state of the art defense. Expect nothing more from Spyderco, the world's ever recognized, knife manufacturer. Once again, they provide us a unique product with high-quality performance. The blade length of the great Matriarch 2 measures 3.57 inches. It is easy to deploy. Thanks to Spyderco's feature round hole, the master of this tool could skillfully deploy it one hand. The blade material is stainless steel that is impossible to rust. This design looks like a claw. However, don't be deceived. It is super-sharp, and you don't want to be on the receiving end of it. The reverse 'S' point design to slash and cut that looked want to rip anything that could slit. These features describe the Spyderco Matriarch 2, total self-defense recommended to women. Easy to carry and operate even by an untrained civilian. KEY FEATURES: • The handle material of Spyderco Matriarch 2 is fiberglass reinforced nylon that has a low friction coefficient and odorless. Be comfortable holding it. • Spyderco Matriarch 2 blade shape is a drop point, perfect condition for butchering tasks. • One dynamic feature that this brand can offer is its dependability. The sturdy back lock mechanism and four-position clip guarantee supreme carry flexibility.
Offer price: $$$
VALUE FOR MONEY
Spyderco Matriarch 2 ensures high speed deployment that can be use in case of head on combat. With a little more practice, it will become a lethal tool in trained hand. Once use the hook, prepare yourself for action.
• Diameter of Round Hole: 0.47 inches
• Overall length: 8.55 inches
• Closed length: 4.98 inches
• Blade thickness: 0.12 inches.
• Blade Style: Hawkbill
• Pocket Clip: Tip-Down, Tip-Up
• Made in Japan.
Top blade sharpness, handle, and excellent blade material.
Fox 599 G10
The Fox 500 G10 is another best knife for women’s self-defense that must consider. It offers a spectacular balance, appearance, and purpose. This great little knife has been tested and guaranteed its sturdiness, dependability, and excellent quality. People who depend on knives recognize them.
Thanks to patented Emerson Wave, which permits for quick use of the blade. The claw-shaped tiger blade coated with Teflon offers an insanely sharp and improved edge. This product is very piercing from the very beginning, and the consistency is not questionable. It can even cut through your pocket, so beware. The G10 handle provides a good grip. It also has a right, excellent quality blade made up of stainless steel, so expect its corrosion resistance.
This little knife is perfect for a woman’s grip or a hand size that measures 3.5 inches or less. The compact safety ring eagerly offers itself to bare hand use only and improves weapon retention.
Overall, with a little practice and training, the Fox 500 G10 could open quickly and be a deadly weapon in emergencies.
- Overall length: 7 inches when fully extended.
- Blade length: 2.25 inches. Very legal.
- Handle: 4.75 inches
- Blade shape: Clip point.
- The flexible pocket clip offers ambidextrous use.
Zero Tolerance 0562CF Hinderer Slicer Folding Knife
Zero Tolerance 0562CF Hinderer Slicer Folding Knife offers features that anyone who looks for in a self-defense knife. Zero Tolerance didn’t fail us again in providing hard-use utensils. They are still consistent and dedicated to offering us a dependable combat knife.
There are many things to say about it but first, let’s start on the handle. Zero Tolerance 0562CF Hinderer Slicer Folding Knife is made out of carbon fiber and titanium that smooths finishing and oblique. The knife feels good to hold, and it fits well.
The attractive blade finish is remarkable that could give consistent performance even for everyday use. The thickness of this knife is suitable that you will never even have to force or baton it. The combination of blade coating and stone washing yields an exactly articulated quality unreceptive to stain and damage.
The caged ball bearings use for smooth blade released. This operating system could even handle by a single hand, very fast and easy. The manual flipper obliges the user to push with short strength for easy deployment. It is very appealing to both trained and untrained users.
Aside from being user-friendly, this pocket clip is convenient to carry because of its weight, size, and style. The four-position of the pocket clip allows both left and right-handed users to tip-up move the knife comfortably.
- Overall length: 8.25 inches.
- Blade length: 3.50 inches.
- Handle length: 4.75 inches
- Weight: 5.45 oz.
- Blade Material: CPM-20CV
- Made from the USA.
SPYDERCO Para Military 2
It is another highly recommended product of Spyderco for self-defense. It is not shocking that Spyderco became one of the most favorite brands in knives. Their dedication to provides high-caliber knives are absolute. We should give thanks and praise to those people behind this. If not for them, this high-quality brand will not see by humankind.
But the question is, along with the comprehensive range of Spyderco products, why choose Para Military 2? The answer is simple. It is one of the tops for an average size of a survival knife. It is not heavy and could even use by a lady. Aside from these, other descriptions are worth mentioning. Let’s start with the basics.
Like any other Spyderco knife, this model also has a trademark hole for easy deployment. Its handle is made out of the most delicate material, the G-10. It is pretty comfortable and avoids slippage. The weight is only 3.75 oz. that is so light and easy to carry.
You will never have an issue in terms of its deployment and lockup. Put your finger inside the hole and release the blade. It is just so quick that you won’t even notice. However, through the blazing opening, you can guarantee its safety. Also, it is not easy to fold if you will only use one hand.
The blade of a knife is one of the crucial parts. This brand almost had it all features that user need. The edge retention is excellent, rust-free, and razor-sharp. The material used for its blade is stainless steel. Blade length measures 3.44 inches. Overall length is 8.28 inches.
Overall, this brand of Spyderco is a must buy. Typically, it can use by a woman for self-defense.
Ka Bar BK2FDE BK2
One of the top-rated self-defense knives is Ka-Bar BK2FDE BK2. To save you from all the hassle on its numerous advantages, let us highlight only the most essential features that will help you with your buying decision.
This model of Ka-Bar is a super heavy duty that outdoor enthusiasts always preferred. However, it can also be your companion in unfortunate times and encountered by an unknown attacker. Its extreme and devastating sharpness will turn out to be your hero in times of head-on battle. Nevertheless, be a skilled user to release its potential.
These are mouthwatering for fixed blade enthusiasts. It only weighs almost a pound. Behind its lightweight, a super sturdy and strenuous cutting weapon hides. The culprit for such merciless sharpness is its 1095 Cro-Van steel blade. It’s coated and rust-free. The handle was just perfect for holding; the material provides comfort and won’t slide off.
The butt of the handle is also usable. It’s made up of rigid material that can use to break a glass. Its sheath is made from nylon. It is simple and sturdy. You don’t have to worry if your knife falls. As long as it’s wearing this sheath, it will be wonderful. This all-purpose knife would totally save a life.
Other specs that the user must consider are its measurements. This knife’s overall length is 10.5 inches. Its blade extent is 5.25 inches, and Zytel is the material used for the handle. The knife is made from the USA, and the sheath is made from Taiwan.
FREQUENT ASKED QUESTIONS:
Q: Aside from pocket, where can you hide a self-defense knife?
A: Pocket knives are easy to conceal. You can place it in a bag, socks, or belts. For smaller pocket knives, some can hang them on necks.
Q: Is it legal to use a knife as self-defense?
A: Yes! Everyone has the right to protect themselves. If the knife is your last resort to save yourself from assault, you can use this to defend yourself.
Q: What will happen if you use a knife as self-defense?
A: If you kill someone using a knife because you have to defend yourself or let’s say you stabbed your attacker, you will possibly found yourself in a trial. Nevertheless, if you can legally have justified it for self-defense, you will not be punished.
We hope that this article informs you about which knives are the best for women to defend themselves. Remember that there’s a lot of things to consider in choosing a knife so be very observant and wise. There’s nothing wrong with being choosy and wanting to have the best of the best.
Keep also in mind the responsibility of holding this weapon. Follow the state laws about knives. There is a city ordinance about carrying this weapon and who are the only ones who can. Whatever it is, abide by these rules and restrictions so that you won’t be in trouble.
Moreover, in carrying a knife, skill is also important. Practice, watch tutorials, or have some little training. It would be best to be familiar with your tool so you can use it as a part of you.